Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Wednesday, June 12th: Second Day of Two-Day Projects

Today was our second day of our two-day project which was to build a 7-by-7-foot porch with a shingled roof. Our group to me is one of the best because we were the only group to finish our porch. I was pretty proud of our team and of myself because we were all just working so hard. I saw God today when I saw the finished roof and saw our works that we have done for these nice and caring people, also when I was talking to Rosa and connecting with her, talking about her past dogs and my past dog and she got a little emotional and I was there to comfort her and talk with her which I believe made her feel better. To be honest, today has been the best day yet. I felt so awesome when I was on top of the roof hammering the nails in it was so fun. This is a great experience I just love working together with everyone making relationships with people and bonding with everyone. I want to thank everyone who helped and supported me and everyone else who has come on this trip.
-Jordan Harbour

Our job for the two-day project was to build a 7x5 porch, which took quite a bit of time due to technical difficulties with our drill and nails constantly bending and being uncooperative. Today, we focused on putting in the joists and setting the decking. We were relentless, and refused to give up, even when things were looking bleak. We managed to finished with 45 minutes to spare, and were able to get back in time to serve dinner to the rest of the camp. Woohoo!
With my YRG, aka Youth Renewal Group, we always manage to have a good time. We always kept each other laughing with stupid jokes and by scaring one another with creepy crawlers or pretending to drop something. You always have to stay on your toes with my new family. While my friends are quite the group, I had the most fun talking to the family. It was only Diane and her son Anthony, but they make quite a pair. Anthony and I bonded instantly with our tastes in music, movies, and video games, so having a good time with him was not difficult. Diane and I talked about her life, and she continuously told me how I remind her of herself in her younger days. Her kindness towards me definitely put a smile on my face.
I saw God in a lot of places today, but it was most evident with the family. Diane has lived an extremely difficult life, with and abusive ex-husband and brother, countless failures at having her own children, and barely coming out of a car wreck alive. Through all of her troubles, and with Anthony by her side, she has kept her faith in God and that she was put on this Earth for a reason. Diane's courage and perseverance truly inspire me to live a better life for Christ.
I would like to thank the Faith Partners for all that they have done for this group. Without them, the Cathedral would not be able to travel here and help families like Diane's. Your generosity is greatly appreciated.
-Hailey Connor
  
For Thursday June 13th:  Lord Christ, when you came among us, you proclaimed the kingdom of God in villages, towns, and lonely places:  Grant that your presence and power may be known throughout this land.  Have mercy upon all of us who live and work in rural areas; and grant that all the people of our nation may give thanks to you for food and drink and all other bodily necessities of life, respect those who labor to produce them, and honor the land and the water from which these good things come.  All this we ask in your holy Name.  Amen.

(Having Fun at the Work Site)

(This is Perfectly Safe.)

2 comments:

  1. You guys are doing such an awesome job showing God's love. Thank you for working so hard serving God's people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome work y'all. Keep it up! thinking of you with the storms Wednesday and Thursday.

    ReplyDelete