Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Tuesday, June 25th: Second Weekday at El Hogar

Hi faith partners! For those of you who don't know me, I am Nia Warren and I am one of the nine missioners on this journey in Honduras. Today we woke up at around 6:30 to go to the devotional for the children. They told the story was about David and Goliath and how, because David had faith in God, he was able to defeat Goliath. Then we went into Claudia's, the director of the orphanage, office and she brought some of the children to share some of their stories with us. Their stories were very touching, but my favorite part was when we heard about their dreams. Despite the hardships all of the children had been through, they all wanted to make the world and their communities better places to live. One seven-year-old boy really stuck out to me as he said that he wanted to be and astronaut so that he could save the world. This was the moment when I saw God today. This boy has been through so much and, despite everything, he wanted to help other people so they would not have hard times. I also see God in the children every day with their continuous hugs and the warm smiles on their faces.
Later in the day, the team broke into groups and we led and observed classes. Celeste and I led an art class and we colored and drew with the children. Many of the children wrote my name on their artwork and gave me the work as a present. Now that we have been here for a few days, the children have gotten to know us and are more comfortable with us. After art and dinner, we had a group of 8- to 10-year-old boys and we did various activities such as blowing bubbles and making name tags. This gave me the opportunity to get to know some of the boys more personally, and make even further connections.
I want to thank you for supporting me through this journey and, although this is my second time here, this experience has changed my life. My experience being here for the second time is much different from my first. Last year at El Hogar, I began to appreciate the life that I had. However, this year, I have seen a new way to love and how important it is to forgive and love unconditionally like the children at El Hogar. Once again, thank you for giving me this opportunity.

-Nia Warren

For Wednesday June 26th:  O God, you made us in your own image and redeemed us through Jesus your Son:  Look with compassion on the whole human family; take away the arrogance and hatred which infect our hearts; break down the walls that separate us; unites us in bonds of love; and work through our struggle and confusion to accomplish your purposes on earth; that, in your good time, all nations and races may serve you in harmony around your heavenly throne; through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

(Drawing together)

(Self-portraits)

(Playing "Wax Museum")

(Hard At Work)

(Helping However We Can)

(Bubbles!)

No comments:

Post a Comment