Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Wednesday, August 12th

Dear Faith Partners,

Today was a very good day. First off, today is Jaida Fackey’s birthday! Aka sister/bestie. So happy birthday Jaida. We started the day off by having our meeting with Claudia, which brought tears to my eyes. The experiences these children have gone through is more heart breaking than I think I have experienced or ever will experience in my life. These children are little warriors. And when you play with them feeling trusted, loved, and adored… It’s hard to believe that they’ve been through what they have. And being able to be in these kids’ lives and have the impact on them that I have been given the opportunity to have. Makes me feel like the best person in the world, because me being here with these kids and seeing them see me as golden...makes me feel golden.

After the meeting we went to the technical school. The young men there are so smart and kind. They’re so committed and they are truly inspiring. We had a talk with them, we went around the circle sharing our dreams and why we were there. I think they have their minds made up about life way better than I do! They have bright and amazing lives ahead of them. Each and every one of them.

The rest of the day was lunch and nap time till the kids were ready to play again. After playing jump rope with the older girls, we had dinner. Right after dinner we went to evening activities with the older boys. And they completely stole my heart. I spent most of my time playing Giants, Wizards, and Dwarves. And I’m grateful for a shower after all that running around. And I swear those boys have magic cuteness powers. We then had a surprise birthday party!!! Not only for Jaida, but for Ben who had his birthday Monday. I was excited because duh, more time with kids. But before i could start tickling some kids, a little girl came over and grabbed my hand, led me to a bench, whipped out a book, sat right next to me and cuddled up with me, and asked me to read. I’ve never seen this girl before or met her. She trusted me completely and I felt like I had the world in my hands. In that moment I realized how important we are to these kids. We are here to give them the attention and love that they need when it is not available to them. Only halfway through the week and my eyes have been opened to a different kind of love. The kind of love you experience when you just look into a child’s eyes that wants only you. Your love and attention. This trip is truly life-changing and I want to thank you, the faith partners, for making this experience happen. Your commitment and kindness has touched so many lives. Thank you!

Yours truly,

Lilu Ryan Stoker













No comments:

Post a Comment